Hi all…Unfortunately, due to a lack of time and energy, I’m no longer going to continue writing to this blog. I will most likely take it down in another month just to reduce the bandwidth I personally waste every day. 🙂 I appreciate the few readers I did have for the blog. I just need to refocus my efforts on my reviews blog and my job for a while.Thanks to everyone who left comments and read my posts!–Fitz
Image via WikipediaHey all…
I recently had an interesting experience. I had someone out of the blue send me an e-mail asking if they could “sponsor” my blog. What it boiled down to was a paid link back to their website and the best income I’ve seen from any blog I’ve created so far.
My only qualm about the whole thing is that its topic (beauty product reviews) isn’t really something I thought of as a target ad for my blog (which is mainly entertainment reviews). That said, I reconciled it with the fact that probably 1/2 of my readers are women (just playing the odds here) and at least a portion of those probably use beauty products.
So I happily took the money, added the link, and was off to the races. The $$ from there will allow me to advertise via Project Wonderful and Google Analytics to further see what kind of revenue I can generate.
What do you guys think of sponsors? Are they a good thing? Let me know!
Just a quick wish for everyone to have a Great 2008! I’m hoping this year is a ton better than the last!
Hope you’ve all enjoyed your end of year celebrations, whether it be Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, or some other festive occasion. I wish you all a happy holidays and a merry and safe New Years’!
I have to do some serious thinking about this blog over the next few days while I’m on vacation to see if I’m going to continue with it or not. Towards the end of the year I got the strong feeling of being spread too thin, so I may have to pare back on the blogs I write at a bit. I know others of you (mostly part time bloggers I bet) have fought this also. I’m curious as to how you resolved it. Did you back away completely, cut back to only a few posts a week? One post a week?
Let me know how you handle this great balancing act. I’m curious!
In the meantime, enjoy the holidays and may we all have a great and profitable 2008!
I survived my surgery and am now just recovering… Thank goodness for pain pills and naps. Hopefully within another few days I’ll have my wits about me enough to write some things that make sense.
As it is, unless it’s a required surgery, I don’t recommend a tonsillectomy for a good time. Minor as surgery goes, I think between the nagging pain and getting the anesthesia out of my system, I’ll be happy get over the lasting effects.
Has anyone else had their tonsils removed as an adult? My eldest child had hers removed at age 3, which I think is a great age to have it done. They heal quickly and get over it. As adults, we tend to heal much slower than we’d like to think.
Anyway… Anyone have any cool thoughts on what to write about? What’s making ripples in the blogosphere this December?
Thanks in advance.
Sorry for the lack of posts… Been crazy with the holidays and work, plus I’m going in for a tonsillectomy at age 38… THAT ought to be fun. Not. 🙂
So it may be a few days until I get back to this blog. Again, apologize for the lack of posts!
In the meantime, take a look through my archive and see if you have any fresh input on any of my older posts — I’d love to hear from you!
I’ve covered a number of items on this blog so far… Most have surrounded my passion for roleplaying or my experiences with publishing or trying to monetize this blog. Though I’m not doing very well at the last two, it’s not going to stop me from trying. 🙂
But I’m interested if anyone who’s reading has suggestions for what they’d like to know more about based on some of my previous articles:
- rssHugger… The Hunt for More Traffic (This one generated quite a bit of traffic)
- List of Free Internet Marketing Books from Caroline (This one had quite a bit of traffic also)
- Ever at a Loss for Words? (My most popular article to date)
- Using Lulu.com to Publish your Book (Another popular article)
I’m not out of ideas, but I’d like to know what my few readers would like to know more about before I go off on too many more wild tangents!
Please leave me a comment and let me know!
But I learned a few things from them that I thought I’d share. Though an oddball way to cover the topics of marketing and publishing, it’s applicable to many disciplines, hobbies, and jobs, so I thought I’d see where it led…
- Don’t JUST think outside the box… Think WAY outside the box.What do I mean by that? Take what we know from simply living in a media age. How do we make music? How do we behave if we’re rock stars? Turn that on its head… Approach it like you’ve never heard music before. Take what’s in front of you and make it yours – beat on it – experiment – have fun – and see where it leads. Or take the behavior you know you SHOULD do (like if you’re a rock star, you have to be on stage jumping around, singing, and playing music) – and break it down to its component parts, then look at each of those like you’ve never seen them before.Try it… You might come up with something new and unique. I’m working on some new ideas now for the game to see what shakes out. I’ll let you know how the experiment goes.
- Take an established idea (like writing a roleplaying game) and turn it inside out.What do I mean? Well, in the game case, traditionally roleplaying games are like Dungeons and Dragons or Vampire – you have a character, the character interacts with the world and changes as a result. But what if the character maybe… creates the world? Or perhaps the experience for the players becomes more interactive — there IS no game master maybe. Perhaps there’s a set of ground rules, a character for each player, and an idea and each player runs with it for a while.The same applies to blogging or writing. Take an established idea and turn it inside out. So we need to do SEO and marketing. Why? Break it down. Build it back up again. Maybe we’ll come up with a totally new paradigm that will change life as we know it!?
- Have fun!This applies to the Blue Man as well as the rest of us. We can’t just go through the motions. If we don’t enjoy what we do, something’s wrong and we need to fix it, change it, or at least figure out WHAT’s wrong. We spend too much time in our lives working to not enjoy it. Maybe find the one aspect of your job that you want to have fun with or find a hobby to enjoy — but we MUST find something to squeeze some enjoyment out of life or it gets very gray very fast.
So that’s it. I’ll be interested to hear what you have to say. How will YOU become a Blue Man and turn life upside down?
Let me know!
A bit off topic, but I just wanted to wish everyone celebrating a happy Thanksgiving! I’ll be back to my wild ramblings tomorrow. 🙂
Great news! The Moebius Adventures Core Rules book is available for purchase in both softcover and eBook formats on Monday, November 12, almost three weeks ahead of schedule!
To purchase the softcover book for $24.95 + shipping, go to the Moebius Adventures Lulu storefront.
And to help celebrate the ThanksGiveAway promotion from OneBookShelf, the eBook will be available for free for one day – Monday, November 12, from RPGNow and DriveThruRPG.
Please help us celebrate the release of the first Moebius Adventures book!
Thanks for your support!